Bora, also known as yard-long beans or snake beans are found throughout the Caribbean. This recipe can also be used with green beans found commonly in the grocery stores or farmers markets in the U.S.
Green Beans_Caribbean Style
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 hot red pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lb. bora, or green beans washed, stringed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Step 1 Heat oil in frying pan or wok over medium high heat.
- Step 2 Add onion an garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Step 3 Add tomatoes and hot pepper and saute 3 more minutes.
- Step 4 Add bora/green beans and water and stir well.
- Step 5 Add cumin and salt and pepper.
- Step 6 Reduce heat to low, cover pan and cook until vegetable is tender, about 8-10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Step 7 Serve hot.