A deep fried bread that pairs with eggs and Guyanese style veggies or Dhal!
- 2 cups self rising flour
- (If using non-rising flour, use 1 tablespoon baking powder)
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon Space brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- Vegetable or coconut oil for deep frying (About 2 cups)
- Step 1 Mix flour and salt (and baking powder if not using self rising flour) in large mixing bowl.
- Step 2 Add butter and sugar.
- Step 3 Gradually add water, mixing to form a medium firm dough.
- Step 4 Knead dough until it forms a small smooth ball, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Step 5 On a floured surface, roll dough into a sausage shaped 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Step 6 Cut into 8 1 1/2 inch pieces.
- Step 7 Knead each piece in the palm of your hand for 30 seconds to form a smooth ball.
- Step 8 Rollout each ball to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Step 9 Heat vegetable oil (Coconut or olive) until very hot in deep pan , wok or small Guyanese Carahee. Test oil temperature by adding a pinch of dough: if it rises to the top immediately, oil is hot enough).
- Step 10 Gently lower bake (rolled dough) into hot oil and cook until puffed and light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes on each side, basting the top with oil to ensure even cooking.
- Step 11 Repeat with remaining dough drain on paper towels and serve for breakfast.