These fried breads are not greasy when properly cooked. Serve with scrambled eggs at breakfast or with Baigan choka, pumpkin (butternut squash) or dhal. My kids say their favorite breakfast is bake and eggs. Say that really fast and you can see how it confuses their friends who think they are being served bacon and eggs.
A delicious breakfast bread with eggs.
- 2 Cups self-rising flour
- *or use non-rising flour and 1 Tablesppon baking powder)
- 1/2 tablespoon buttr or margarine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 Cup (approximately) water
- 2 Cups (Approx.) olive, coconut or vegetable oil for deep frying
- Step 1 Mix flour and salt (and baking powder if using regular flour) in large mixing bowl.
- Step 2 Add margarine and sugar.
- Step 3 Gradually add water, mixing to form a medium firm dough.
- Step 4 Knead dough until it forms a smooth ball, 5-10 minutes.
- Step 5 On a floured surafce, roll dough into a sausage shape 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
- Step 6 Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. (About 4-5 inches in diameter)
- Step 7 Knead each piece in the palm of your hand to form a smooth ball.
- Step 8 Let sit for a few minutes.
- Step 9 Heat oil in a frying pan or wok until shimmering.
- Step 10 Gently lower bake into hot oil and cook until puffed and lighter golden brown, 1 to minutes on each side, basting the top with oil to ensure even cooking.
- Step 11 bake should have puffed up.
- Step 12 Repeat with remaining dough.
- Step 13 Drain on paper towels .
- Step 14 Serve hot with eggs or Dhal or Guyanese style pumpkin/butternut squash.