Brewed up to 2 days to get that taste Caribbeans and especially Guyanese love, this well loved holiday beverage has no substitute. I’m a big fan of ginger beer, not just at holiday time since I love that fiery ginger kick. Of course Moscow Mules and Dark and Stormy cocktails have nothing to do with the fact that my refrigerator is always stocked with ginger beer! Here is a good primer on the difference between ginger ale and ginger beer.
Unlike many supermarket ginger beer, which are made with corn syrup and ginger flavorings, this ginger beer is made the traditional Caribbean way. Try this popular refreshment made with ginger root, water and the power of active yeast for the holidays or anytime! With or without liquor.
Ginger Beer-Caribbean Style
- 1 pound of fresh ginger peeled and grated
- Juice and zest of two limes
- Tablespoon cream of tartar
- 4 quarts of boiling water
- 2 teaspoons active dry East
- 3 cups sugar
- Step 1 In a large non-reactive container, combine the ginger, lime juice, and zest and cream of tartar.
- Step 2 Pour boiling water on top and allow to stand overnight.
- Step 3 Add yeast and stir thoroughly
- Step 4 let stand for 15 minutes. Strain the mixture, then add the sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Step 5 Store in sterilize bottles.
- Step 6 Serve chilled over ice.